ENGINEERING EXECUTIVE • OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
Talented and accomplished business technology leader with over 18 years’ experience and proven ability to successfully direct information solutions, project management, and support services operations. Highly successful in creating vision, identifying opportunities, and building successful organizations. Expertise in overseeing technology improvement initiatives and aligning information services with business goals. Proven track record of cutting costs while retaining productivity. Experienced with leading enterprise-wide implementations with a solid background in software engineering, business application solutions, and operations management. Highly proficient communicator effective at managing relationships between strategic leadership, third-party vendors, and clients.
Areas of expertise:
- Recognized for consistent success in developing systems, plans, and procedures to streamline corporate and client operations, improve processes, and enhance performance
- Efficiently managed operational strategies and directed enterprise-wide implementation projects flawlessly while consistently delivering desired results and contributing to revenue producing activities.
- Produced substantial cost savings, optimized systems, and successfully utilized technology and engineering solutions to maximize business efficiencies in a variety of intensely competitive industries.
Vice President of Technology
Improvity Medical, Los Angeles, CA 2010 – Present
Responsible for software engineering, quality assurance, and production support. Established and implemented policies and procedures to comply with government health care regulations for medical office and insurance management such as HIPAA. As a member of the senior management team responsible for setting up company’s development plan and implementing it. Worked directly with key customers to ensure their needs are met.
- Established work processes in a startup environment which increased quality without affecting time-to-market.
- Established an offshore engineering team which was able to control costs without reducing productivity.
- Setup 24×7 proactive system monitoring which resulted in 60% decrease of downtime.
- Designed and implemented systems migration to a redundant architecture which eliminated the need of downtime for releases and maintenance.
Director, Information Technology, Production Engineering
Experian Interactive Media (formerly LowerMyBills.com), Santa Monica, CA 2006 – 2010
Direct all aspects of cross-functional engineering department and oversee development of projects for an online lead-generation aggregator for lending, education, credit, and insurance products. Manage software development, quality assurance, production support, and release management organizations consisting of up to 30 professionals. Supervise department’s activities related to weekly releases. Develop and implement quality processes and standard operating procedures by introducing metrics and documentation. Produce status reports, progress statistics, and business-oriented metrics as well as ROI studies, cost savings comparisons, and financial analysis to company executives.
- Quadrupled number of simultaneous projects for team to handle through effective resource management, without increasing headcount.
- Reduced labor cost by over 50% by initiating and planning outsourcing of QA and development resources and implementing an off-shore development team in Chile for the company.
- Increased efficiency by 50% through change release cycles and established development practices and entire software development lifecycle.
- Established and managed an offshore development and testing team which provided services to multiple engineering organizations in the company.
- Led a smooth transition of taking an ad-hoc startup team in a dysfunctional environment and transformed it into a cohesive, aligned engineering organization with improved morale under leadership.
- Designed and set up application monitoring systems to proactively alert proper staff of production problems.
- Virtually eliminated production deployment issues by establishing release management processes.
- Formulated suggestions for defining, prioritizing, and completing projects on schedule and within budget.
Director, Technology Solutions
SQATest, Inc., Walnut Creek, CA 2002 – 2006
Directed design and implementation of technology solutions for company’s clients. Focusing on software development processes, helped clients achieve higher ROI, reduce cost, and increase productivity. Designed quality programs which helped achieve product excellence without jeopardizing release schedules. Established software release methodologies appropriate for fast-paced companies. Performed quality audits.
- Reduced project lifecycle by 35% by improving development process.
- Consulted senior technology executives on methods to improve productivity, while preserving costs.
- Designed and executed an efficient outsourcing methodology which returned expected positive results.
Senior Director, Product QA and Testing
Brodia Group, San Francisco, CA 1999 – 2002
Managed all aspects of testing and quality assurance groups for a provider to Fortune 500 companies in areas of high security online payments; heavily involved in developments using wireless WAP, Palm, and smart cards technologies. Developed and maintained department’s budget. Prepared and led all audits performed by customers.
- Generated revenue and profit as opposed to a cost center. Built a world class quality organization which attracted clients over more established and larger competitors.
- Established QA department and reporting that demonstrated true cost of quality.
- Planned and built the QA department from scratch, including a state-of-the-art QA testing lab.
- Established release criteria and effectively managed over 20 simultaneous company projects.
- Designed product development management tracking tool to analyze progress and minimize risks.
Clarify, Inc., San Jose, CA 1995 – 1998
Developed enterprise level back office software for helpdesk, logistics, and sales management. Identified customer needs to understand expectations, translated into business requirements, and provided technical support during pre-beta and beta releases. Delegated tasks, scheduled staff, and communicated status to management and clients.
- Led QA “SWAT” team with full responsibility for all high risk and high visibility projects.
- Developed company-wide standards for QA Partner automation and maintained QA Partner libraries.
Director of Operations
WindTest Instruments, Inc., Los Altos, CA 1995 – 1996
Oversaw all day-to-day operations of the consulting division for a QA consulting and professional training company. Effectively managed quality assurance and Internet projects.
- Increased company’s revenue by 800% over a one-year period.
- Dramatically increased number of active clients from 3 to over 40 within one year.
- Collaborated with clients to consistently meet or exceed performance requirements and expectations.
VP Operations, KVN America 1998 – Present
Direct the fundraising committee that produces live events on cable TV for a non-profit organization for amateur arts and creative competitions, uniting over 30 teams across the United States with over 500 members. Oversee the coordination of every event on a very low budget with complicated logistics. Negotiate auditorium rentals and manage organization’s finances, assets, and vendors. Schedule all events, making sure each show runs according to plans.
- Served as the primary fundraising arm; promoted fundraising events through donors and sponsors.
- Recruited new members and solicited higher level of financial commitment from existing members.
HONORS & RECOGNITION
Member, International Who’s Who of Information Technology
Featured in customer profile article in Segue.Com newsletter (makers of SilkTest), 1999 and 2000
Guest speaker at University of San Francisco Computer Science Department